Wise n’ Shine: MLB picks, college football predictions and NHL best bets for Friday, October 20
Good morning, Pickswise Nation, and welcome to another fantastic Friday of sports. NFL Week 7 began with the Jaguars moving to 5-2 by beating the Saints on TNF and today we have two huge MLB playoff games, plus college football and NHL action, so let’s get straight to making your next bet better.
About Last Night
- TNF got NFL Week 7 off to a good start as the Jaguars beat the Saints 31-24 with a late TD after the home team had evened the scores with two fourth-quarter touchdowns. The 5-2 Jaguars are +2500 odds for the Super Bowl at FanDuel Sportsbook. We went 3-0 with our NFL prop picks on the game and cashed both of our TD scorer picks at +240 and +255.
- The Diamondbacks walked it off in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Phillies 2-1 and get back to 2-1 down in the NLCS, while the Astros and Rangers are now level at 2-2 after Houston won Game 4 10-3. The Phillies are +155 odds to win the World Series at DraftKings Sportsbook, with the Astros at +195, the Rangers at +280 and the Diamondbacks available at +800.
- Our NHL team went 8-5 with their Thursday picks and cashed our Best Bet of Over 6 in the Kings-Wild game, which LA won 7-3. The Golden Knights (5-0), Avalanche (4-0) and Bruins (3-0) maintained their unbeaten starts to the season.
- Our college football cappers were not to be left out and had a 2-0 Thursday thanks to wins by Rice and James Madison, which also cashed our CFB parlay at +358 odds.
- Both MLB series are in action today with the Astros and Rangers getting things started at 5:07 pm ET on FS1 before Phillies vs Diamondbacks Game 4 at 8:07 pm ET on TBS. Check out our MLB picks.
- SMU vs Temple provides us with Friday night football at 7:00 pm ET on ESPN2. You can read all our NCAAF predictions for the Week 8 games.
- It’s a quieter night on the ice with just 2 NHL games, including Devils vs Islanders on NHL Network at 7:30 pm ET. We will have NHL picks for both games.
Best Bet of the Day
MLB: Over 8.5 runs in Houston Astros vs Texas Rangers (-110, BetMGM)
5:07 pm ET, FS1
It seems that the Astros have heated up and are mashing, while the Rangers are trying to play home-run derby to keep pace. There are a lot of huge cuts being taken at the plate and both starters could give up some runs today. Jordan Montgomery and Justin Verlander were in the 7th inning with a score of 2-0 in Game 1. But that game was only a few days ago, and for the hitters, it will be like they are picking up where they left off with these pitchers. The Rangers bullpen is the weak spot in this series and that could come home to roost today in what is now a hitters’ series. Read our full Astros vs Rangers predictions.
- Our YRFI/NRFI Best Bets for both today’s MLB playoff games are available now.
- We have a SMU vs Temple Same Game Parlay for tonight’s game, plus our College Football Week 8 Best Bets
- NFL fans can check out our NFL Week 7 player prop picks, NFL power rankings and NFL Futures analysis
- We have UFC 294 Best Bets and a UFC 4-fight parlay
- Our soccer picks for Saturday’s slate and Saturday EPL parlay are also ready to read.
- Our NBA futures articles include championship picks, division winner predictions and MVP and player awards picks
Read all of our sports betting articles as they arrive throughout the morning and afternoon on the Analysis tab.
Stat of the Day
Temple has allowed 41 or more points in 4 straight games.
Quote of the Day
“It means a lot. It means the team’s been having success in the last years. But the whole focus I have right now is about winning tomorrow.”
–Jose Altuve had a great game in his 100th playoff appearance for the Astros.