Golf Betting Online, Where To Bet & How To Bet On Golf
Pickswise online golf betting guide has everything you need to know about how to bet on golf. We look at the top online sportsbooks for where to bet on golf. Our golf betting experts round up the guide with five golf betting tips, which will give you some extra knowledge for how to win money in golf betting.
Best Golf Betting Sites
Online Golf Betting Sportsbooks
How To Bet On Golf
The most popular bets on golf are futures or outright betting. This is where you pick a golfer to win a tournament. With fields of over 100 golfers each week at PGA Tour events, it’s easy to see why the odds are so high; it’s not unlikely to see winners at +10000 or +15000.
Odds are generally posted based on players’ current form (closely linked to his or her world golf ranking), history at a tournament, and in some cases, the layout of the particular course. For example, long hitters are usually going to have better chances at the Masters while precise ball-strikers are going to have a better chance at the British Open.
After a tournament has started, in addition to outright winner odds, there are options to bet on head-to-head player showdowns each round. You’re picking a player to have a better round than his or her playing partner. Before the cut, there are often three players involved, so you’re betting on a player to score better than both other players.
Golf Picks & Predictions
Pickswise Golf experts give out free Golf Predictions every week on all PGA Tour events, all four Majors, and the Ryder Cup. Get this week’s PGA Tour picks now!
Where to bet on Golf
They offer a wide range of golf betting markets, pre-tournament, and in-play live betting. They also have weekly promotions and price boosts on most PGA Tour events.
Most legal sportsbooks offer Golf betting so we recommend you take a look at our best online sportsbooks section to see which ones are legal in your state.
The Different Golf Tours
The Professional Golfers Association primarily holds tournaments in the United States, with the main part of each season running from January through September. Its biggest events are the PGA Championship, the Players Championship, and the Tour Championship.
This is the women’s counterpart to the PGA Tour. Whereas the men’s circuit features four annual major championships, the women play five each year.
Many of Europe’s best golfers play the majority of their schedule close to home. This tour sanctions the British Open, which is the fourth and final major on the calendar.
Korn Ferry Tour
Golf’s proverbial minor league. Based on performers, many golfers who do not earn PGA Tour cards play on the Korn Ferry Tour. It was previously known as the Ben Hogan Tour, the Nike Tour, the Buy.com Tour, the Nationwide Tour, and the Web.com Tour.
This is a branch of the PGA Tour in which golfers must be at least 50 years old.
Golf Betting Markets
Futures or outright betting
We discussed this above, picking a golfer to win the entire tournament.
To finish top 5, 10 or 20
Picking a golfer to win a tournament is a tricky thing to do. If you like a golfer to perform well, you can also make a safer bet for them to finish in the top 5, 10, or 20. For example, someone who is +1000 to win the tournament could be +175 or thereabouts to finish in the top 10. It’s a way of reducing variance
To make the cut
Books will offer odds on a player to make or miss the cut. At almost all golf tournaments, the field is cut after two rounds are played—generally on Friday night. Usually, two-thirds of the players advance to compete in the remaining two-weekend rounds.
One of the most popular golf betting submarkets is two and three ball betting. Players go against each other in a head to head battle in a stroke-play scenario for a particular round. Players are usually put up against each other from the pairings they are drawn with for that round. If there are two players, it’s a head to head market, and if there are three players, it’s a 3-way market.
Two and three ball markets make great picks for golf parlays. There are often 30+ pairings in a final round, which gives you plenty of options to choose from when creating a parlay.
The most common round leader bet is a first-round leader (FRL). It’s placing a wager on a golfer to be in first place after round one in a golf tournament.
Some golfers start fast, while others come into their own when it counts on moving day or the back nine on Sunday. Knowing which golfers will perform well in each round of the tournament will give you the edge in the round leader market.
Golf Betting Tips: Five Ways To Bet Smarter On Golf
- Look for value – winning a golf tournament is an incredibly difficult thing to do. Big fields lead to high variance. Don’t be put off by big prices, the big-name players are often a lot shorter than they should be, it doesn’t make them a good bet. It’s also worth opening multiple betting accounts to get the best odds on your selection.
- Pay attention to the course– As mentioned earlier, a golfer can be well-suited for a course like Augusta National (the Masters) but not well-suited for St. Andrews (an occasional British Open choice). Look for golfers who may not be among the most famous players but have fared well at a particular tournament in the past. That is where the best value can be found
- Current form is more important than anything else – Current form in golf is vital for picking winners. Because it’s a four-day event you need to be at your best each round to be in contention to win. You need a golfer who is playing well consistently and feeling confident. A general rule of thumb is to look for players coming in off a top 25 finish in their previous event.
- Keep an eye on the strokes-gained statistics – We can analyze each aspect of a player’s game using strokes gained statistics. There are four different statistics available strokes gained: off-the-tee, strokes gained: approach-the-green, strokes gained: around-the-green and strokes gained: putting. Strokes gained is a better method for measuring performance than the traditional statistics because it compares a player’s performance to the rest of the field and can isolate individual aspects of the game.
- Don’t ignore the supplementary markets – There’s more to golf betting than picking an outright winner. Sportsbooks are now offering a wide range of pre-tournament and in-game betting markets where you can find value and lower variance.