Wise n' Shine: NFL MNF picks and MLB predictions for Monday, October 16
Good morning, Pickswise Nation, and welcome to another magical Monday of sports. We have Monday Night Football and MLB playoffs action today, plus another day in the NHL. Let’s get straight to making your next bet better.
About Last Night
- It was a solid NFL Sunday for the Pickswise handicapping team, as we went 8-5 on game totals in our NFL predictions and 3-3 on our NFL Best Bets, which still brought our run up to 17-6 with our NFL 3-star plays over the last 4 weeks! We’re also 6-1 with our NFL player props this week.
- Despite falling from their undefeated perch on Sunday, the San Francisco 49ers are still the favorites to win the Super Bowl at +440 at FanDuel and +400 at DraftKings. The Philadelphia Eagles also lost on Sunday, but the Eagles are still 3rd in the Super Bowl odds at +750 and +700 respectively.
- The Texas Rangers are now the favorite to reach the World Series out of the American League after taking Game 1 of the ALCS 2-0 behind a terrific start from Jordan Montgomery. Our MLB experts were on the ball, cashing our MLB player prop best bet and winning another YRFI/NRFI best bet to extend our run to 4-0.
- Check out our NFL predictions for today’s Cowboys vs Chargers game on ABC at 8:15 pm ET.
- We also have MLB picks for today’s playoff games as the Astros host the Rangers at 4:38 pm ET on FOX and the Phillies host the Diamondbacks at 8:08 PM ET on TBS.
- Don’t miss our NHL picks for all of today’s 5-game slate.
Best Bet of the Day
NFL: Dallas Cowboys -1.5 vs Los Angeles Chargers (-110)
8:15 pm ET, ABC
Two words: Buy. Low. The Cowboys could not possibly have looked worse against the 49ers. Dak Prescott reverted back to his old self with multiple interceptions, Tony Pollard lost a fumble, the defense couldn’t muster any stops to speak of, and in a revenge spot that was supported by the market, the Cowboys got housed. There’s no way around it. There wasn’t a single, solitary bright spot from last week. But that’s the beauty of the NFL. That was last week, and it’s onto Week 6. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got betting the NFL was to, in most cases, treat it like it’s a week-to-week league. In other words, don’t assume that just because something happened last week it will happen the next. Check out our full Cowboys vs Chargers predictions.
- We have a Cowboys vs Chargers Same Game Parlay, plus our expert’s best MNF player prop picks and our Cowboys vs Chargers anytime TD scorer picks available to read.
- Check out the early NCAAF Week 8 best bets and all the odds
Read all of our sports betting articles as they arrive throughout the morning and afternoon on the Analysis tab.
Stat of the Day
All 4 games involving the Chargers this season have been decided by a combined 16 points.
Quote of the Day
“We would have felt really good initially, like coming in if we had made that [field goal attempt] on the last play, but my message to them was regardless of whether we hit that or not, there’s a lot of stuff from this game that we have to improve on.”
— 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan sees plenty to take away from his team’s loss to the Browns on Sunday.